Making a car insurance claim is easy enough, but protecting your legal rights in British Columbia is never as simple. There are many steps you can take to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries, damage to your vehicle and other losses.
These five car insurance claim tips are critical to your success.
- Don’t delay in making a claim: Your health is top priority, but the first second you get you should contact your agent to get the wheels in motion. If your injuries are making it difficult to do so, ask a friend or family member to assist you.
- Review your policy: It’s difficult to fight for your rights if you don’t know what you’ve been paying for. A thorough review of your policy will help you understand the finer details of your coverage, thus ensuring that your agent doesn’t take advantage of your lack of knowledge.
- Take notes of all conversations: It doesn’t matter whom you’re speaking with, mark down their name, phone number, date, time of day and what you discussed. All of this information will keep you organized, while allowing you to avoid misunderstandings in the future.
- Collect evidence: The more evidence you have, the easier it is to back up your claim. This can include but is not limited to photos of the accident scene, photos of your injuries, photos of damage to your vehicle, medical bills and the police report.
- Keel all receipts and bills: This can include receipts for things such as a rental car and parking at doctor appointments. Also, keep close tabs on all your medical bills.
Even if you have a good relationship with your car insurance agent, you shouldn’t expect this person to take your side. They’ll do whatever they can to pay out the least amount of money possible.
Depending on the circumstances surrounding the accident, don’t hesitate to seek other means of obtaining compensation from the negligent party. For example, if you’re injured in a truck accident, you may be able to seek compensation from the trucker and trucking company.
Understanding of your car insurance policy and legal rights will help you fight for the compensation you deserve.